Shanghai has the World’s First “Underground Hotel”
The world’s first underground hotel opened to the public in November 2018 in Shanghai.
Located 19 miles from the center of the east China metropolis Shanghai, the hotel is built near the Sheshan Mountain National Forest Park and Chenshan Mountain Botanic Gardens. The hotel has been built in a formerly abandoned quarry that plunges 263 feet below the ground level. Of the 18 floors in the hotel, 16 of these are underground, the bottom two floors, however, substitute a balcony for an equally thrilling feature. The two lowest levels are completely submerged underwater in a 33-foot-deep aquarium, taking the phrase “sleeping with the fishes” to a whole new level.
Water runs throughout the structure. A waterfall, built into the center of the hotel, pours into the pool at the bottom of the quarry. The two bottommost floors are built completely underwater. One floor will have guest rooms and a restaurant, both facing an underwater aquarium. At the bottom of the building, there’s a sports complex that includes a swimming pool. Those seeking an additional thrill can look to bungee jump and rock climb at the luxury resort.
The hotel is also eco-friendly, creating its own power using geothermal and solar energy. The ground level roof is covered in greenery, blending into the surrounding landscape.
InterContinental Shanghai Wonderland has 337 rooms and suites.
As the world’s first five-star hotel built in a waste crater, the hotel will not only create the world record for the lowest five-star hotel built globally, but also its concept of “reverse sky” development will become a revolutionary architectural design.
The hotel was designed by the architects who also created Dubai’s Burj Al Arab and the whole construction project has taken nearly 10 years with approximately 5,000 architects, engineers, designers and construction workers involved.
- She Shan Lounge – 10:00am-12:00am – The Lobby Loungs showcases the hotel’s architectural verve and natural landscape. Here you will enjoy mountain grown teas, speciality coffee, your favorite cocktail and an assortment of refreshing beverages and savoury snacks.
- Mr. Fisher – 11:30am-9:30pm – Located one floor below watr level, this Speciality Seafood venue is enveloped in a sea of water creatures swimming in a custom built aquarium. This is a destination where all your senses are delighted by the tantalising fresh offerings from the sea and the unique design of the surroundings.
- Cai Feng Lou – 11:30am-10:00pm – Cai Feng Lou Chinese Restaurant boasta thematically unique motif representing traditional Chinese bird keeping culture. Using the freshest of Songjiang produce from Chef selected sources, the culinary team here creates exquisite specialities from the Zhejiang and Guangdong Province.
- The Quarry – 6:00pm-12:00am – The Quarry Bar with its awe-inspiring views, serves up creative concoctions as well as your all-time favorites. Our selection of premium Scotch and spirits can be savored on the rocks with the bar’s stone shaped “quarry” ice balls.
Classic Rooms – Elegantly furnished and spacious guestrooms equipped with 55 inch LCD TV, JBL audio player and sound system, separate shower bathtub and branded bath products. Enjoy the luxury high mattress bed with pillow menu and premium linen. Refresh in the large bathroom with branded toiletries shower and bathtub. Enjoy the complimentary high speed internet service.
- Quarry View of Hongqiao Area
- Dyson Hair Dryer
- Nespresso Coffee Machine
Executive Rooms – Executive Club room amenities included, enjoy Club InterContinental access with breakfast, evening cocktails and Happy Hours. Club InterContinental located below 13 Floor overlooking the quarry provides the ultimate in personalized service and premium facilities. Enjoy the luxury mattress bed with pillow menu and premium linen.
- Lower Floor with View of Quarry
- Room Size: 35-39 square meters
- Lower Altitude with Rustic Red Decor
- 55 Inch TV
- JBL Sound System
- Butler Service
- Club Lounge Access with Breakfast and Evening Cocktails
- Luxury Branded Toiletries
Suites – Spacious suite features separate living and bedroom areas. The suite is equipped with one 55-inch TV and 85-inch TV in the Chairman Suite, walk in closet. Enjoy the luxury mattress bed with pillow menu and premium linen.
- Room Size: 73-80 Square meters with waterfall view
- 55-Inch TV
- BOSE Audio Player and Sound System
- Butler Service
- Club Lounge Access with Breakfast And Evening Cocktails
Traveloni is Here to Help
Call (800) 510-5642 and let Traveloni plan your next Escape.
Trust in our travel professionals; let us handle the travel details so you can relax and enjoy!