Our Favorite Spots in Cancun to Stay & Play
Cancún, a Mexican city on the Yucatán Peninsula bordering the Caribbean Sea, is known for its beaches, numerous resorts and nightlife. It’s composed of 2 distinct areas: the more traditional downtown area, El Centro, and Zona Hotelera, a long, beachfront strip of high-rise hotels, nightclubs, shops and restaurants. Cancun is also a famed destination for students during universities’ spring break period.
There are so many things to do in Cancun, wither you are traveling for a bachelorette party, all by yourself, with the family or in a work setting. Enjoy the beach, enjoy the Mexican food, get out of town and see some Mayan ruins; the possibilities are endless and there is something for everyone. Here are some of our favorites:
What To Do in Cancun
- Xcaret – Xcaret is the nature park in Playa del Carmen where you and your family will live Mexico in more than 50 natural and cultural attractions. Swim in underground rivers that come from the heart of the earth. Look closely at the inhabitants of the Aviary, the Coral Reef Aquarium, and the Butterfly Pavilion. Also, eat delicious Mexican and international dishes, discover Mayan ruins, and be thrilled by the incomparable Xcaret México Espectacular presentation.
- Swim with Dolphins at Dolphinaris Cancun – Dolphinaris developed the Non-stop concept aiming to let the visitors learn, interact and swim with dolphins without interruptions on each program. Choose your swim and live the magic of swimming with dolphins in our exclusive dolphinariums.
- Interactive Aquarium – In this hands-on aquarium, visitors can touch sea urchins, swim with dolphins and feed sharks while locked in an underwater cage. This is the only aquarium in Cancun area and its operated by Delphinus Swim with Dolphins. Enjoy a great day with your kids and friends at the Cancun Interactive Aquarium, located inside La Isla Shopping Village, Cancun Hotel Zone.
- Chichen Itza – Chichen Itza is the most famous Mayan Ruins site in all of Mexico. It has been designated as a UNESCO world heritage site, and the main pyramid, El Castillo, was declared as one of the 7 wonders of the world in 2006 after a worldwide vote. It is 2 hours from Cancun, with many full day package trips available from Cancun.
- Coba – This ancient Mayan site is about 2.5 hours from Cancun, and is different from the other archaeological big sites in Yucatan. First of all, it’s situated by four natural lakes, which is a rare sight in the Yucatan. These lakes are believed to have given the city its name, which means “Waters stirred by wind”. Furthermore, it is not as excavated nor reconstructed as Chichen Itza or Tulum. Coba still has a number of big structures covered with the growth of the jungle, making it a wild place that truly triggers your imagination. It doesn’t see nearly as many visitors as Chichen Itza or Tulum and if you’re early you might be all by yourself with only birds, monkeys and the dense jungle to accompany you at these mystical ruins.
- Tulum – Tulum ruins are located 80 miles south of Cancun and is considered by many as the most beautiful of the Mayan Ruins sites around Cancun, is small but exquisitely poised on the fifteen-meter-high cliffs above the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea. It is also approximately 2 hours from Cancun and is easily accessible with a day trip.
- Du Mexique – French & Mexican Fusion – “The two main inspirations of DU MEXIQUE by Sonya Grimond in Cancun is the food of refined French cuisine and the ancestral and magnetic Mexican pre-Hispanic cuisine; subtlety, strength and sensuality reinvented, using contemporary cooking methods.” – Sonya and Benjamin
- La Destileria – Authentic Mexican – If your taste buds are craving authentic Mexican food, head down to the traditional La Destileria. The interior of this restaurant will remind you of a typical Mexican hacienda and the traditional seafood dishes are worth a try, as is its famous tequila. After the pleasure of enjoying some food, if you have the energy, take a tequila tour here, so you can learn more about your favorite poison.
- Chef Cristian Morales – Chef Cristian Morales “Signature Restaurant” has opened in Cancun offering a unique opportunity to taste their fusion cuisine dishes, in which flavors and colors converge to create the full experience. The restaurant can accommodate up to 38 diners in two sittings, lunch and dinner, Monday through Saturday, where all guests will be personally attended by its creator, Argentinian Chef Cristian Morales. “The ‘cocina de autor’ is an idea and philosophy for emphasizing the delight of every flavor, aroma, color and above all, the true taste of each offering, which makes us enjoy the true feeling of life.”
- Tres Rios Ecopark – Tres Ríos Nature Park is a lush paradise covering more than 326 acres with 3 distinct ecosystems: jungle, mangrove forests and coastal dunes. Named for its 3 freshwater rivers, the park includes 10 crystalline cenotes, more than 90 species of animals and 120 species of plants. As a privately owned natural treasure of the Riviera Maya, Tres Ríos follows strict guidelines and environmental Policy, based on a model of sustainable tourism which regulates all development on the property.
- Xel-Há – Regarded as one of the world’s greatest Natural Wonders, Xel-Há provides one of the best experiences in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Practice snorkeling and see hundreds of colorful fish and a great diversity of marine species that inhabit its cove and cenotes. At this All Inclusive Park you can enjoy water activities, ecological attractions, restaurants and the best scenery to admire while you relax in a hammock or stroll the nooks and crannies of Xel-Há. Come and immerse yourself in one of the cenotes, lagoons or caves, and enjoy the aquatic zip-lines you’ll only find at Xel-Há.
- Bonanza Ranch – Departing from Cancun or Playa del Carmen, this combo tour combines two popular jungle adventures in just one day: horseback riding through the jungle and swimming in a natural cenote. The outing—perfect for nature lovers who appreciate a slower pace—highlights the natural wonders of the Yucatan peninsula and includes round trip transportation, horseback riding guide, and equipment, and water, snacks, and towels at the cenote.
- Swimming in a Cenote – Xenotes Tour – the Xenotes Tour by Xcaret includes transportation to four cenotes, certified guide, photographer, plus food and beverages. L I V E Xenotes Tour It doesn’t matter what kind of traveler you are, on the Xenotes Tour by Xcaret you will find activities to have fun and interact at an oasis maya, with the ancient beauties of nature.
- Jungle Snorkeling Tour – Take the wheel and become the captain of your own speedboat with our one-of-a-kind, unforgettable tour! Experience the adventure of a lifetime on our Jungle Tour Adventure®, a guided boat tour with a twist. You´ll be navigate your own speedboat for the entirety of the tour while following our trained and knowledgeable guides to experience the best of both worlds – the THRILL of driving your own speedboat, and the safety of having a skilled guide show you the beauty of the mangrove canals across the Nichupte Lagoon. Finally, do an amazing snorkeling at Punta Nizuc beautiful shallow coral reef National Park.
- Snorkel or Scuba the Underwater Musuem – MUSA | Underwater Museum Of Art – Contemporary underwater sculpture museum. Modern underwater sculpture museum experienced via glass-bottom boat, snorkeling or scuba diving.
- Coco Bongo – One of the best nightspots in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, in Mexico, Coco Bongo has a unique show production, an extraordinary musical mix, and the very latest in audio and video entertainment, which includes a huge video screen, soap bubbles, balloons, confetti, streamers and much more. Its multi-level seating allows every spectator enjoy every show and performance from any spot. Get ready for flying acrobats, bar top conga lines, movie clips projected on to high tech video screens, live bands, DJ’s that adds up to the adrenaline and energy level as the night progresses. Coco Bongo has been praised by the likes of Rolling Stone Magazine, MTV, CNN, Billboard Magazine among others. No doubt about it, Coco Bongo creates a party that the audience will remember forever and that is why our customers return year after year, to enjoy one of the best nights of their lives.
- Carlos ‘N Charlie’s – Restaurant/Bar/Club – Salsa dancing on Tuesdays and Fridays. Get your dance on! Carlos’n Charlie’s is a 100% Mexican family restaurant, in which the genuine personality and good humor of Carlos Anderson, founder of Grupo Anderson’s , transpires in every detail. In the middle of a casual and relaxed atmosphere, guests are free to do whatever they like, dancing on chairs, singing and much more, while enjoying a fun environment.
- Señor Frogs – Sunday Glow Party, Wednesday Foam Party – a Mexican-theme franchised “infamous party scene” bar and grill in tourist destinations throughout Mexico, the Caribbean, South America, Tenerife and the United States. “You go to Señor Frog’s when you’re on vacation, if you want to get crazy and nobody knows you,” chief executive David Krouham told Forbes magazine.
Where to Stay in Cancun
Traveloni is Here to Help
Call (800) 510-5642 and let Traveloni plan your next Mexico Escape.
Trust in our travel professionals; let us handle the travel details so you can relax and enjoy!