Banff is a town in Alberta, surrounded by rugged peaks of Canadian rockies, right in the heart of Banff National Park. According to the National Geographic, Banff is a destination on the rise and was ranked as one of the top 21 travel destinations on the planet for 2017. This rocky mountain town was the only Canadian town to make the list, and is a gateway to the Canadian Rockies offering some of the most spectacular scenery you will find on the planet.
Banff town has all the amenities one could wish for from nightclubs, hotels and spas, to an incredibly diverse dining scene which features some of the top restaurants in the country. In recent years, the town has rapidly grown in popularity, and is currently one of the most visited travel destinations on the planet.
Things To Do in Banff
- Gondola ride – Banff Gondola offers visitors some of the most amazing views of Canadian Rockies. The views get more and more grand as you climb. Consider riding the Gondola all the way to the top of the Sulphur Mountain. After that, you can take in amazing views as you head back down to the basecamp.
- Hiking – Banff offers a number of picturesque hikes for those who are looking to take in the Rocky Mountain views. There are lots of trails to choose from so it’s best to consult with one of the Park Rangers and see what they’ll recommend based on your particular time frame and ability.
- Whyte Museum – The museum features an extensive library, archives, visual arts and a wide collection of historical relics. Here you can also take guided walk or check out the heritage homes. This museum offers something for the entire family.
- Wildlife Viewing – There are lots of animals to spot in Banff, especially during summer. However, remember to keep your distance as the wildlife can be dangerous at times.
- Cave and Basin National Historic site – Here you will get to see the actual birthplace of Canada National Park system. This is also the place where the hot sulfur springs were found.
- Banff Upper Hot Springs – This historic spa and bathhouse features all kinds of modern amenities against a backdrop of stunning alpine scenery. Here you will get to luxuriate in the comfort of hot springs.
Best Time of the Year to Visit Banff
Banff is actually an all year round destination though it is at its’ prettiest between the months of July and September. For those who like skiing, you can visit between the months of November and May.