Bermuda legalizes same-sex marriage — again
The island’s Supreme Court on Wednesday overturned a gay marriage ban that was signed into law just four months ago. The Supreme Court first legalized same-sex marriage last May. Then in February, Bermuda became the first national territory in the world to repeal its gay marriage legislation.
“Love wins again! Our hearts and hopes are full, thanks to this historic decision by our Supreme Court and its recognition that all Bermuda families matter,” OUTBermuda, one of the plaintiffs, said in a statement. “Equality under the law is our birthright, and we begin by making every marriage equal.”
Gay travelers are unlikely to experience overt discrimination, though open displays of affection are very much frowned upon.
There isn’t a gay scene in Bermuda as such, though there are a number of gay-friendly venues, including Cafe Cairo and the Little Venice Wine Bar in Hamilton. Hotels noted for being gay-friendly include Reefs, Hamilton Princess, and Royal Palms, while Aunt Nea’s Inn and Quarterdeck Cabin are gay-owned lodgings that welcome gay travelers.
In honor of Bermuda legalizing same-sex marriage again, here are our favorite spots for a fabulous vacation with your loved one:
- Royal Naval Dockyard – Shipyard with retailers & restaurants – Historic dockyard with a storied military past hosting cruise ships & many shops & eateries.
- Gibbs Hill Lighthouse – Working 19th century lighthouse – Built in 1846, this working cast-iron lighthouse allows visitors to ascend the 185 steps to the top.
- National Museum of Bermuda – Museum set in an ocean side fortress – Indoor/Outdoor museum with ocean views from an old fort & exhibits on cultural & maritime history.
- Crystal Cave – Underground caves with pools & tours – Guided tours are available of these dramatic underground caves with lit pools & large stalactites.
- Bermuda Aquarium Museum & Zoo – small place with various wildlife – This small aquarium & zoo offers an array of aquatic & land animals, along with a museum.
- Church Bay – Beach & Snorkeling – Church Bay is perhaps the most popular snorkeling beach in Bermuda. It is located in Church Bay Park off South Road in Southhampton Parish on the main island.