Santorini is one of the most famous Greek islands, and is located on the south side of Aegean Sea. The island which is also known as Thira in Greek, is immortalized by painters and poets, thanks to its’ celebrated light, multicolored cliffs and the picture perfect sunsets.
The Santorini island is renowned for its’ beauty and its’ sophisticated hotels, and has lots of amazing tourist attraction sites. It is actually considered to be the top tourist destination in the whole of Greece. It’s famous for its’ impressive caldera, romantic sunsets and volcano. As a matter of fact, it’s frequently included among the top tourist destinations on the planet.
- Things to do in Santorini, Cyclades
- Visit the volcano which is found on Nea Kameni (a small island which is at the center of caldera). Black and red rocks create a picturesque landscape around the crater which is on Nea Kameni. You can walk along this volcano and get to view the incredible caldera from a volcano which has a 2.5 million year history.
- Enjoy a rejuvenating spa in Aegean Sea; You can rent a boat or hop on the day cruise at Gialos, Ammoudi or Athinio, and get to tour the caldera. You will discover churches which are carved in caves, and old stairs which were used for the mining excavations. If you are wild and adventurous enough, you can dive into the thermal waters which form a volcanic spa on the Palia Kameni Island.
- Go for a stroll and check out the caldera villages; Holidays in the caldera villages are 1 of a kind. You can enjoy a leisurely walk from Fira town, to Firostefani, and Imerovigli. If you are more adventurous, you can challenge yourself by walking along the wild path to Oia, which passes Prophet Elijah Church, the Black Mountain and Chapel of the Cross. The caldera villages have brilliant traditional architecture and offer breathtaking views of the sea. The Oia village in particular, is very famous for its’ romantic sunsets.
- You can also opt to swim with nature; Santorini is filled with lots of unique beaches with exotic colors of white, black, and red; a product of the volcanic sand. At the Red Beach (Kokkini Paralia), and White Beach (Aspri Paralia ), the volcanic activity created magnificent works of art. You can swim as you enjoy very amazing views.
- Best Time of the Year To Visit
- Over the last couple of years, the tourist season in Santorini has extended from April till early November because the numerous cruise ships which dock there. That being so, for good weather and cheap hotels, late May, early June, late September, and early October are the best times to visit Santorini, Cyclades.